Monday, November 10, 2008

Pondering

I'm the type of person that when I am in a lot of pain, or really mad, or really sad I tend to close in on myself. I don't tend to say too much, and I sort of keep to myself.

That's how I felt a little over two years ago when I found out my mom had cancer. In fact she told me shortly after that day, that it was interesting to watch the reaction of each of her 7 children following the news. Some of us are take-action types, some of us are comforters, and at least one of us is a ponderer--no one person's reaction better than another, just different. So today I find myself in my default mode--pondering. I don't feel like saying or doing much of anything, but I do feel like expressing some of the feelings I have today. Though some of my feelings today are overwhelming, they are surprisingly not all sad. Some are quite hopeful. I wish that I was better at expressing myself so that I could really explain the mix of emotions.

My mom died this day, November 10th, two years ago.

As all of her children and in-law children gathered around her hospital bed she told us of the diagnosis of cancer. I knew what was coming. Not that I knew she had cancer, just that when I heard the diagnosis I knew she would be leaving us in the not too distant future. I didn't know, however, that I would only have 11 weeks to say goodbye.

I am so grateful for those 11 weeks of saying goodbye. I am grateful for the lessons that my mother taught me in those 11 weeks. She taught me to face my challenges with my head held high. She taught me to be positive, and not complain. She taught me to be patient in my afflictions. She taught me to have faith in the plan of our Heavenly Father and in His love. And in that final night of her life, I learned of the existence of angels and of heaven, because I felt it.

Although I didn't learn all those things from my mother only in the last 11 weeks of her life, I am reminded of them at this time of year. The wonderful thing about my mother is that she taught me those things throughout my life. By precept and by example she showed me how to live to have joy. And I firmly believe that she is still working hard to serve others and to help others learn to have joy. I also believe that I, and the rest of my family, are included on her service to-do list.

I like to think of it as a visiting teaching route of sorts, only in its purest and most sincere form. I'm sure it's just one of her many duties (because she was always capable of juggling many different tasks all at once). I think she checks in on me periodically, is genuinely concerned for my well-being, and tries to serve me however she can. I agree with Elder Holland that angels are still sent to help us, even as they have been sent to help others in the past. I believe that I am entitled to this help. And I also believe that my mother is one of those angels sent to help.

Now my part is to try and follow the angelic example my mother set for me while she was still on this earth--one of kindness, faith, patience, empathy, service, love and concern.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of, if not the best entry you've made. Well said.

Amanda said...

Annie.

Forgive me for saying the same things here that I did on Margaret's blog...but I can still hear your Mom's sweet voice, see her smile and imagine her in the kitchen of your Scenic Drive house. She was and is so wonderful and is aware of your family. She taught me to love other people and to not judge. She accepted and loved me when others didn't. Her goodness lives on in you girls.

I'm thinking of you.

Love you!

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing Andrea. I am crying as I read this. I guess it just makes me feel for you. I'm very impressed with your strength and feel blessed to know and work with you.

Karly said...

You are carrying on your mothers legacy.. I so remember the class and poise of your mother. I will never forget the fun playdates I had at your house.. we had some fun! How I love your family and PLEASE know you're in my thoughts and prayers today! I LOVE YOU ANNIE!

Holly said...

What a great tribute to your mom. I thought it was really hard when I lost my dad. I don't know what I would do without my mom. I am sure from what I know of you, you are doing great at following her and helping others to do the same.

Catherine said...

Thanks for writing that Annie! I loved that talk from Elder Holland in General Conference - I thought of Mom too, and was sure most would think of her and be comforted by that. You're amazing, and I'm so lucky to have you as a sister. I love you!

Catherine said...

P.s. I'm glad you put the Josh Groban song on here. It reminds me of Mom every time I hear it.

When we went to Kansas City (before Nauvoo) just so Mom could see him in concert, he played this song and I remember looking over at Mom with tears in her eyes. She loved this song!

rachael said...

Okay all you girls are great at expressing your feelings of your wonderful mother! I love the analogy of the visiting teaching route.....I feel so strongly about VT to begin with and using that as an analogy really makes me think of its important and what your mom must be doing from the other side. You have many of her traits and that is one way that she lives on and blesses peoples lives. Thanks for being a great example of her! Happy to call you family!

Beebs said...

Annie, as I was thinking about everything with Mom over the last few days. I thought in my mind, "I think Annie is the most like Mom." At least in traits. I think we all have a piece of Mom but in your countenance I think you are are most like Mom. Restrained, refined, peaceful. I only hope I can be more like that. We were so lucky to have Mom. And yes, I know she "visits" us. She has too! She was always like that. Wanting to know EVERYTHING that was going on. I'm sure she still does. One day we will all be together again. Won't that be wonderful!! Do you think you can watch "The Bachelor" in heaven and make commentary with Mom? Lol Not that we would, just that I look forward to being together, shooting the breeze and analyzing "people" and things like we did with Mom. OH and don't forget maybe we could analyze some wedding invites or bridesmaid dresses when we are together again. Oh how I love Mom. And oh how I'm grateful for you and all our family, especially our "sisters in zion." Love ya!

Anonymous said...

That was a very sweet post Andrea. My heart aches for you, I think because I see myself in you and I can feel those same pains inside that you didn't even know you could feel until you experience something so incredibly hard. I am sorry that you have to go through this, I am sorry that cancer stole another incredible woman from this earth. It is not fair. I admire your strength and I bet you get a lot of that from your mother. I do believe we will see them again, and it will be glorious. I also believe they are with us more than we know, and they miss us just as much as we miss them. They just might have a better understanding of the big picture. My thoughts and prayers are with you, as well as my friendship to help you through another year without that irreplaceable person in your world. I am glad to know you and consider your friendship a blessing.

The Marlatt's said...

Your words are so inspiring and strengthen me. You are a wonderful example.

Sara said...

You are so strong. I'm thinking of you Andrea. love you.

The Coombs' said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom! It's great to hear such wonderful thoughts...even if you never knew a person. She must have been so great!!

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing. It's such a public sorrow (death) but can be so private - so I appreciate knowing your thoughts. love you