Thursday, September 23, 2010

To our dragon, dinosaur, animal loving boy...


Here is why you should want a child with an anal retentive personality like Owen...

His shoes can be found neatly organized on the floor of his closet, not strewn about the house.

He doesn't just throw his clothes into the hamper after he takes them off (which, for others of my children I would gladly take at least that), but he examines them to see if they are actually dirty, and if they are not dirty he folds them neatly and puts them back in his drawer! Or if they are stained he will bring them to me to put stain remover on them.

He almost always clears his place from the table without being prompted.

When the baby was still waking up at night, I would sit in my bed and just roll up the dirty diapers, throw them off the end of the bed into the darkness, hoping for them to land somewhere near the door. At some point every morning I realized that someone was picking them all up and actually throwing them away for me. Owen said, "I bet you thought your husband was doing that." And I did. But, no, it was Owen. That's when "Owen's Diaper Service" or "ODS" was born.


Owen has afternoon kindergarten, and Nate has morning preschool. I love running errands with Owen in the mornings. He stays right by the cart, has fun looking at things, but doesn't always ask to buy them. And when the baby gets fussy, he entertains her. Plus when we get home he turns into "Owen's Robot Delivery Service" and he will help put things away where they belong.

Owen is very smart. I feel like I can say that without seeming like I'm bragging, because I don't think I had much to do with it--he just came that way. He already reads. Like reads, reads. And nobody really taught him. He probably read a lot sooner than I even realized (about a year ago), because by the time I knew he could read he was already beyond the "cat" and "hat" variety of words. Somehow all the TV watching and computer gaming he likes to do really paid off! (just kidding. kind of.)(Owen off to his first day of Kindergarten)


Of course his anal retentiveness has its negative side. Opposition in all things right? For example, if you try to challenge his knowledge of prehistoric beings or dragons (or any other knowledge for that matter), he doesn't take it very gracefully. Somewhere along the line though, his Grammy or Pops taught him the phrase, "my mistake." It has been wonderful for him to realize that it's okay to make mistakes and not be right all the time.

Here's to Owen: the service-oriented, detail-oriented, intellectual!

6 comments:

Catherine said...

That was an awesome post!! I must admit I have always had a special place in my heart for Owen. Perhaps it's our common anal retentiveness. I could definitely use an Owen in my house as my diaper service. What a good kid!! I can just see Mom smiling about that. She would have had a good chuckle about his ways. :)

Becky said...

Wow! What a cool kid! I need to send Isaac over for lessons, reading and picking up. My kids remind me of this mentally handicapped lady who I knew in MI who would drop whatever she had in her hand when she was done with it. As a result the floor of her apt. was littered with chicken bones, underwear, wrappers, q-tips, and many more disgusting things. The problem is, my kids are not mentally handicapped and they still think it's o.k. to drop whatever on the floor as they go. I'm working on this but wow, I wish at least one of them would have come out like Owen!

kelsey said...

yeah, where can i get me one of those???? sounds like a dream, though i will say blake is pretty good at following directions (put this in trash, in dirty clothes, in room, etc.), so i have hope he'll be even better when he's older. but yeah, owen sounds like a dream. i'd take that little measly negative ANY day!

Sarah said...

Yeah for Owen! His comment about "your husband" cracks me up! I'd love to sit companionably with him and read all day

Kelly said...

Can I just say that Owen is my favorite! (Yes, I will admit that in public for all other moms to see!)
He was so good in preschool and his sense of humor is the BEST!

Could he give Landon some lessons about the shoes and possibly even the diaper service routine???

Christa said...

He is so dang cute! Love the diaper service... I've got to train Will into doing that! We're about to attempt the potty training thing. Wish me luck!!! We'd love to have you guys down sometime.... let me know :)