Thursday, August 26, 2010

Abigail--or as she prefers now, "Abby"

Here's Abigail on her first day of 3rd grade this week...

We are two days into the school year, and she has made her official declaration that she would like her teacher to call her "Abby" this year. I'm a little uncertain about this, even though I call her Abby the majority of the time. I guess I always envisioned the world knowing her as Abigail, and those she's closest to calling her Abby. But, it is her life apparently.

Speaking of which, since when did eight-year-olds become tweens? I didn't think this started until 10 or so. I think I was still pretty oblivious at 8. This summer Abigail has really come to fit the true definition of a tween...in-between. One day she'll be combing her dolls hair and watching Sesame Street, and the next you'll find her listening to her ipod, wanting nothing to do with "little kid" stuff, and acting all moody like a teenager. It's definitely interesting to watch.

Today I spent a good hour or so in Abigail's room while she was at school. The mess in there had reached critical mass, and I was just waiting for the summer to end, so I could go in there and throw a bunch of stuff away (a garbage bag and a half, btw), without her tears and complaints about how that sucker wrapper is part of a collection, or that rock is the one she found while riding her bike around the block, or some other such excuse. (I'm thinking of showing her that Hoarders show as some type of scare tactic. Is that wrong? I thought about posting a "before" picture of her room, but I was honestly too embarrassed.)

Anyway, what I realized it what a creative girl she is, and how much she loves to read--the majority of the mess was mostly accumulated arts/crafts projects and books. She has also taken on a new desired identity of being "sporty". It was around the same time Molly was born, so I'm not sure if it was to differentiate herself from her sister or what. But we'll see if it lasts. Today for school I asked her if she wanted a bow in her hair to match her outfit. She said, "No, Mom. I'm Abby, I'm casual." She did end up with a flower clip though.

Here's to Abby--the casual, bookworm, artist (possible hoarder).

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh Abby!! Oddly I have always called her Abigail, but perhaps I should fix that. And coincidentally, I had my name change in 3rd grade as well. Remember Cathi? There is hope it's a phase. I was Catherine by Christmas that year. :)

Becky said...

Great post! I think my boys must be going through a similar stage but instead of a little sister, they're trying to differentiate themselves from eachother. I too have a similar goal of cleaning their rooms now that they are off. I attacked the play room the other day and said bye-bye to a lot of toys. Abby...I've informed Douglas that his name is Douglas and not Doug. He seems to agree with me and is sometimes ticked off if people call him that. Though, adults seem to get away with it, it just makes him mad when his brothers call him Doug. Good luck with your tween! Aaaahhhh!!!!!