Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ode to Abigail

This post will require some participation from you. Okay, pretend with me that it is not August, and that it is still July, and I am still within the month of Abigail's birthday.

Alright, now that we are all in denial I would like to wish Abigail a happy 6th birthday!!

I can't believe it has been six years since I became a mother! Abigail really is a joy to have around. I may be slightly biased....but she is smart (just today she told me that too much salt is bad for your heart), funny (this afternoon she was walking around the driveway lifting my weights--not to try and be funny, but it was funny to me...wait, maybe she is just health conscious), considerate (tonight before bed she asked what job she could do first thing tomorrow to help me), obedient (most of the time she will say, "Yes, Mom!" when I ask her to do something), and many other things that you hope your children will be. I feel lucky to have her in my life and hope that the next year will be just as great as the last. We love you, Abigail!

These are her cute Fancy Nancy glasses and purse our regular babysitter gave her.

Alec's mom took her to Build-a-Bear for her birthday. She was thrilled, and picked out this bunny that she loves. The best part is, that before she went, she got on the Build-a-Bear website to do some pre-browsing. She had loaded up her cart with all the cute outfits she wanted. Then Grammy kindly explained that she could probably only pick one outfit and that she had a budget of $40. So Abigail busted out the calculator (which I didn't know she knew how to use), found outfits on sale, and maximized her spending power enabling her to get two outfits and some underpants for her bunny.

We had a "luncheon" on her birthday. I had to call it this and not a party, because I didn't want to do the whole party thing. But she was just as happy, and never would have known the difference. She got to pick two of her friends to invite over for lunch and to play. Beforehand we went to the dollar store and I let her pick out whatever plates and napkins, etc. she liked. I didn't care if they matched or not. It was so nice not to have the pressure of it being a party, that I think she and I both had more fun. We made English muffin pizzas for lunch and decorated cupcakes. Then I painted all their nails. Such cuties!




Later in the month we had the monthly birthday party at my Dad's house, celebrating all the July birthdays: Uncle Peter, and cousins Spencer and Lauren.


And finally, to round out her birthday month, she lost her first tooth!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Abigail! She really is all of those things you mentioned, she is definately not your average 6 year old! I will never forget having her in my primary class and wondering every week if she was in the wrong class! She is exceptional! Please share your secrets with me one day!!! (p.s. I am glad we are back to July it is my favorite month of the year!)

Shelly! said...

I will happily skip back to July since it got lost in summer madness for us too! (Time is flying isn't it?!?!)

Happy Birthday Abigail! I love reading about her on the blog and watching her, and the boys, grow!

Cute post Andrea! And happy sixth anniversary of being a mom.

kelsey said...

i can only hope my first one is a great as yours! (granted, boys can't be nearly as cute as her, but maybe they can be just as fun and sweet, right?? please??)

Catherine said...

Happy (late) birthday Abigail!! She is such a cutie!! I love how she loaded up her shopping cart online first - sounds just like someone I know. Haha! I think a lot of people do that - start them young. And it looks like she was able to do a lot of fun things for her birthday! That "luncheon" looked super fun - something I would have wanted as a little girl. Nice going!

Sarah said...

Totally fun! Isn't she a fun girl to have around. I'm totally impressed with her shopping skills and snagging herself two outfits for the price of one :)

Beebs said...

I think you win a good mommy prize for the english muffin pizzas! Remember when we would make those almost daily in the summer? Good times! Happy Birthday Abigail! You are a cutie!

Amanda said...

She seems like the perfect older sister..and her 'party' sounds great. low key..and fun.

Happy late birthday! She is adorable and growing up way too fast!

Terry saw these pictures and said "I remember when she was born and had so much black hair!"