Thursday, November 29, 2007

Festival of Trees



This is what my sisters, sisters-in-laws, and I have been working on for the last six months. (Thanks to Peter for these artistic shots.) We decorated this tree as a tribute to our mom. It was for a fundraiser for Primary Children's Hospital, called the Festival of Trees. We were able to raise literally thousands of dollars when our tree sold at the auction Tuesday night. I have to brag because I'm so proud of us, but our tree was one of the Top 5 Premiere Trees of the hundreds of trees decorated. Meaning, it was chosen by the organizers to be photographed by media, and to have a special host near the tree to make sure it sold for maximum dollar. Here is a copy of the "story" of our tree:

A loving mother can provide many lasting gifts to her children. One of the gifts that our beloved mother passed on to her seven children is a love of music and the arts. So in deciding upon a theme for our tree, we knew it had to reflect those loves.

Many of us have had some of our most spiritual experiences sitting behind the familiar keys of the piano playing at and attending church meetings. Others are grateful for the tranquility and peace that music provides in their chaotic lives. By our mother's example, we learned sacrifice as she lived without many of the luxuries of life so that we could pursue piano, violin, guitar, choir and dance. We learned discipline while practicing daily and are grateful for those life lessons learned so early. We hope that her legacy lives on through us, as we pass these loves on to our own children.

Even in the final days of her earthly life, while she battled cancer, she found peace in her love of music and expressed her desire to sing in the choirs of angels.

We hope this tree will be an inspiration to others to find joy and peace in the gift of music.

In gratitude to our beloved mother, Toni Lee Eskelson Larson, 1944-2006.


Monday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, we worked on decorating the tree. Thanks to Catherine's husband, Steve, who helped with most of the heaving lifting and annoying jobs. Us girls got to work on making it look perfect.

It was so much fun getting to work on this project, especially with such amazing women. I know my mom would have loved this tree! It was just like her--elegant, classy, and beautiful. If you happen to be visiting The Festival of Trees this week, look for our tree on aisle E. This was the first time we ventured into this process, and I would definitely do it again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It surely is pretty... Congratulations on its success. That has to feel great!

Shelby said...

Wow...that's far from the tree at my house. I wouldn't be able to make any tree look that good!

kelsey said...

andrea it's so funny that you put these pictures up today. i went to the "festival of trees" here in panama city today and it was PATHETIC! i was so disappointed having gone to the one iat South Towne last year. i love your tree, and congrats on your tree.

Shelly! said...

Andrea, Mary, and sisters,

What a gorgeous tribute! I had no idea that you were working on this, and how talented you all are.

We are headed up there and the boys love the Festival of Trees. Now I'll really look forward to it too.

Catherine said...

Oh, I'm glad you posted the story!! I like reading that, and I was thinking of asking you for a copy...now I have one. Thanks!

Karly said...

elegant and classy like your mom was. LOVE YOU and Merry Christmas! Congrats on such a big honor for your tree.

Beebs said...

Thanks for writing such a beautiful tribute Annie! It was perfect! Oh I love Mom and she would have loved this tree! She would have thrown the old one out for sure.

Amanda said...

So beautiful. This post, of course made me cry again. Beautiful tribute. Congrats on the media coverage! The festival of trees always reminds me of your family...did you always dance there or something?